Frequently asked questions

Check out our FAQs

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

For policies purchased after 9 April 2020:

See our special coronavirus information page by clicking here.

For policies purchased between 14 April 2019 and 08 April 2020:


Because the World Health Organisation declared the ongoing Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak a pandemic on 11 March 2020 this is now a known event. This affects the cover provided by Ageas Travel Insurance policies. Any policies purchased on or after 14 March 2020 will not include cover under any section (apart from the Medical Expenses section ) for claims directly or indirectly caused by the Coronavirus (COVID-19). This includes any preventative containment or delay measures. For any policies issued before 14 March 2020 cover remains as per the policy terms and conditions.

These policies will not provide any cover if the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) are advising against all but essential travel to your destination.  In the present circumstances as the FCO advice on foreign travel is susceptible to rapid and significant change, we strongly recommend that you visit the FCO website to check the up to date advice against your actual or potential travel plans.  You can check whether your destination is on the exempt countries list here

Policy changes and customer care

Your policy is sent to you automatically by email right after you buy your policy. It’s worth checking your junk or spam folder. If it’s not there, click here to use our Live Chat and speak to one of our team in real time. We’ll check your email address is correct and get it re-sent to you. Alternatively, please get in touch via email at (Open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.)

You can view and download all of your policy documents from our secure customer area online. Click here to log into your account.

You can upgrade your policy to a higher cover level, different geographical limit, add winter sports cover, cruise cover upon payment of an additional premium subject to terms and conditions. If you’ve bought Single Trip cover and decide an Annual policy might be better, we can help with that too. However once the policy has been purchased you are then unable to downgrade cover, add an excess waiver, gadget cover or car hire excess to the policy. You may be charged an administration fee to change your policy.

If you decide your policy isn’t right for you, you can cancel it within 14 days of purchase and receive a full refund, provided there are no claims pending on the policy and you haven’t already travelled. To cancel your policy, please contact us at quoting your policy number.

A full refund is only available within your policy’s 14 day cooling off period. Please contact to let us know if you wish to cancel your policy and a member of the team will be in touch.

You may cancel your insurance policy within 14 days of purchase – we’ll provide a full refund, provided you have not made a claim during the 14 days.

To cancel you policy, please click here to use our Live Chat, or contact us via email at

You can choose to cancel your policy after this 14 day cooling-off period, but you will not receive a refund.

If you need to change names and/or your address, please contact us at quoting your policy number.

Yes, if you want to upgrade your level of cover or upgrade your Single Trip policy to Annual Multi-Trip cover, we can help you with that. You can also upgrade your policy to a different geographical limit, add winter sports cover, cruise cover upon payment of additional premium subject to terms and conditions. However once the policy has been purchased you are unable to downgrade cover, add an excess waiver or gadget cover to the policy. Speak to a member of our team on 0343 658 0220 or by Live Chat here.  (Open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.)

No, we’re not able to make any changes to remove someone from your policy.

No, we’d need written consent from the person named on the policy, by their legal guardian or person acting with power of attorney on their behalf.

If you wish to cancel a policy on behalf of someone who is deceased, we can arrange this with written proof from the executor. A refund or partial refund may be available, depending on the time that the person spent under cover.  

Unfortunately, we can’t extend your policy for you whilst you are away. However the policy automatically extends if you need to extend your trip due to unforeseen reasons such as your return flight being cancelled, or if you fall ill and have to stay in hospital (provided the illness or injury is covered by your policy).

Here’s how to make sure your complaint goes to the right team:

In the first instance, please contact us at, or send your complaint via post to:

The Compliance Manager
ROCK Insurance Group
Griffin House
135 High Street
West Sussex

For complaints about how an assistance case or claim has been handled please contact:

International Medical Rescue
15 Tollgate
SO53 3TG

Phone: +44 (0) 2920 468793

If you are still unhappy about our service, you can contact the Financial Ombudsman Service:

Financial Ombudsman Service Exchange Tower
Harbour Exchange Square
E14 9SR

We aim to deal with any complaint within 24 hours of receiving it. However, we guarantee that you will be contacted by letter or telephone within 5 days. This will either be a response to your complaint or if we aren’t able to provide a full response right away, we’ll let you know why, and give you the details of who will be handling your complaint. If after 4 weeks, we have still unable to resolve your complaint you will receive a further letter to update you on our progress.

If we aren’t able to resolve your complaint after a further 4 weeks, you will receive a letter explaining why. We’ll provide an indication of when you can expect a resolution, and will provide details of your right to refer your complaint to The Financial Ombudsman Service.

Your statutory rights are not affected if you choose to follow any of the complaints procedures above. For further information about your statutory rights contact your local authority, Trading Standards Service or Citizens Advice Bureau.


You can find full information about how we collect, store and use our customer data in our privacy policy. This explains what you’re rights are under General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).

Buying your policy

Yes – the benefits are all per person, per claim, unless otherwise stated on your Policy Certificate. For example, there’s a maximum limit you can claim per single item if you make a claim for your baggage, and travel delay claims have a set limit per day. You can check exactly what’s covered in the Policy Wording here.

Taking out a couple or family travel insurance policy is cheaper – as we’re able offer you special discounted rates.

To buy a couple policy, you’ll need to either be married, in a civil partnership, or be common law partners (i.e. you live together as a couple at the same address, rather than as housemates).

With family travel insurance, you can include up to four dependent children or grandchildren, provided they’re all under 18 and in full time education.

Each adult is covered to travel independently. Children are not covered to travel independently and are only covered if they’re travelling with one of the adults named on your policy.

Up to four (4) dependent children or grandchildren under the age of 18 who are in full time education.

Annual travel insurance gives you the flexibility to get away as often as you like – there’s no limit on the number of trips.

It’s worth thinking about the maximum amount of time you’re likely to be away for each trip. We have annual policies which cover up to 32 days per trip, or 60 days per trip with our Ultimate cover.

If you already have a policy and need to upgrade to increase the maximum trip duration please get in touch at or call us on 0343 658 0220 (open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday).

Unfortunately, our policies will not cover you if you’ve already left the UK.

For help with finding cover, the British Insurance Brokers Association can help you find local brokers who may be able to help with a tailored policy. policies are only available to residents of the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or Isle of Man, who are registered with a medical practitioner in the United Kingdom.

You are covered for trips in the UK providing you have at least two nights in pre-booked and pre-paid accommodation.

The geographical limits are:

  • Home Country – The United Kingdom.
  • Europe – Means Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Azores, Balearics, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Canary Islands, Corfu, Corsica, Crete, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Eire (Republic of Ireland), Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guernsey, Holland (Netherlands), Hungary, Iceland, Isle of Man, Italy, Jersey, Kos (Greek Island), Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Madeira, Malta, Mediterranean Islands, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, Northern Ireland, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Rhodes, Romania, Russia (West of the Ural Mountains), San Marino, Sardinia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom and the Vatican City.
  • Worldwide, excluding USA. Canada, Caribbean and Mexico – Means anywhere in the world except USA, Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico
  • Worldwide, including USA. Canada, Caribbean and Mexico – Means anywhere in the world.

For COVID-19 travel information, please see our dedicated Coronavirus FAQs here.

Please note that you won’t be covered to travel to any countries or regions where the Foreign, commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) advise against all travel. You can search the FCDO’s latest advice at

You would need to select the geographical limit that includes all of your destinations, so for example if you are travelling to Spain and then France you would select the European policy. However if you are going to Dubai and stopping off in Italy for a few days, you would need to purchase a Worldwide excluding USA. Canada, Caribbean and Mexico policy.

For these destination please select Europe when you get a quote.

Please enter your age at the time of purchase.

If you’re taking our cover for a single trip – simply enter your trip dates and cancellation cover starts as soon as you buy the policy or pay for your trip (whichever is later).

For Annual Multi-Trip policies, cancellation cover starts on the date you enter as your policy start date. So if you’ve already paid for part of your trip, start your policy today to make sure you have cancellation cover in place.

We accept Visa, Visa Debit, MasterCard, Maestro, Visa Electron, and American Express.

You can pay online using our secure system where all data is encrypted. We hold your details according to current data protection regulations.

We’re also happy to help you over the phone on 0343 658 0220 (open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday). Our UK-based call centre can take you through a quote and you’ll be able to pay securely over the phone.

Most sections of the policy carry an excess. This is the first amount of any claim that you will have to pay, and applies per person, per section. When you make a claim, this will be deducted from the final amount we pay you – so there’s nothing to pay upfront.

The amount may vary depending on the level of cover you’ve chosen, and there are ways you can reduce your excess.  For example, you can choose the Excess Waiver policy option when you buy your policy. . If you are able to make use of reciprocal health agreement whilst you are travelling this will reduce your medical bills and in return, we will waive your policy excess on your medical claim.

We can provide cover up to age 84 on our single trip policies, and up to 74 on our Annual Multi-Trip policies.  If you’re going on a ski trip, it’s worth noting that we offer winter sports cover up to age 64.

For a quote, just enter your trip details online, or call our UK call centre on 0343 658 0220 (open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday).we offer winter sports cover up to age 64.

If you’re over 84, it’s worth trying They don’t have an upper age limit and offer cover for many pre-existing medical conditions, subject to online screening.

You’re classed as a UK resident on our policies if you live in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man, and you’re registered with a medical practitioner here.

Yes. We offer cover for many pre-existing medical conditions subject to simple online screening.

When you go through a quote online, you’ll be taken through some questions about your medical conditions and can be screened for conditions you would like to be covered for. You’ll receive a decision right away online. If we can cover your medical condition, it may add an extra premium to your policy, but many can be covered free of charge.

If you go through online screening for your medical condition and we’re unable to offer cover for it, you can in most cases still take out the policy with cover for the condition excluded. This means you won’t be covered for medical claims related to your declined medical condition in any way (either directly, or indirectly). However, you would still be covered under all other aspects of your policy.

Yes, you’ll be covered if complications arise while you’re away, as long as you haven’t suffered from the complications before. There’s nothing you need to do – pregnancy doesn’t need to be declared on your travel insurance documents in the same way that an illness or pre-existing medical condition would.

A full list of the complications covered by the policy can be found under the of your policy wording titled ‘meaning of words’. These include for example, gestational hypertension, pre-eclampsia, miscarriage and premature births more than 8 weeks from your due date (16 weeks for multiples).

If your flight is delayed and you miss a connection, unfortunately you would not be able to make a claim..

If this happens, please speak to the airline which had the delay. They may be able to help you under Air Passenger Regulations and have a duty of care to assist you with your onward journey if you have purchased a through ticket (i.e. a single ticket covering both flights). Click here to check your rights on the Civil Aviation Authority website.

For missed connections where your original ticketed journey falls outside the current regulations, please check the terms available on your airline’s website, as a similar duty of care may apply.


To add cover for working abroad, please include Sports and Activities Cover when you get a quote. This will cover you under the terms of the policy while you’re in the workplace – for example if you have an accident at work, we’ll cover your medical bills.

The only type of work that wouldn’t be covered is manual labour involving tools or machinery, or where you’re working at heights over 2 metres. But other jobs with physical aspects – like nursing or bar work – would be fine.

It’s worth bearing in mind that you won’t be covered for personal liability while you’re working –  if you have an employer, this would typically be covered by their own public liability cover in the workplace. If you’re self-employed, please check you have public liability cover in place that covers you abroad.

To add cover for working abroad, please include Sports and Activities Cover when you get a quote. But please note that personal liability cover won’t apply while you’re working.

This is because it’s your employer’s responsibility to have cover in place for public liability – covering you if you cause accidental injury to someone at work. If you’re self-employed, check that your public liability insurance covers you while you’re abroad.

It’s also worth noting that the gadget cover available with policies will not cover gadgets that are used for work. So again, please make sure you have cover for this through your employer or business insurance.

Our Single Trip policies can cover trips up to 365 days duration – so they’re ideal if you’re backpacking around the world.

If you’re planning any adventurous activities while you’re away, many are covered as standard – including scuba diving up to 18 metres, snorkelling, kayaking*, parascending behind a boat* and hiking. If you would like to add more, you can bolt on extra cover with our Sports and Activities Cover. This will add on cover for more adventurous stuff, like white water rafting* and high altitude trekking  up to 4,000 metres.

*No cover for personal liability, white water grade 4.

It’s worth noting that your cover ends once you land back in the UK. So if you’re planning to break up your trip with a hop back to the UK, you’ll need to take out separate insurance for each period of time you’re out of the country.

Unfortunately, we aren’t able to provide cover for a child on their own policy. They would need to be included on a family policy and travelling with one of the adults named on the policy. This can be either a grandparent or a parent.

Single Trip policies: Cancellation cover starts from the point you buy your policy if you’ve already paid all or part of your travel costs.  Cover under all other sections of your policy then starts when you leave your home on the date of your trip. So, for example, you’re covered for missed departure if you break down on the way to the airport.

Annual multi-trip policies: With an Annual policy, cover starts on the policy start date. So if you need cancellation cover right away, you’d need to start your policy from today’s date.

Single Trip policies: Your cover simply ends on the date entered on your policy certificate. Or if you arrive back in the UK sooner, it ends when you land back in the UK.

Annual Multi-Trip policies: Your policy is valid for 12 months and the end date can be found on your policy certificate. If you’re due to be travelling over the policy expiry date, please get in touch with us before you go, to make sure you have cover in place for your whole trip.

You can either renew your policy before you go, or purchase single trip cover for the whole of your trip. But this must be done before you go – unfortunately, we can’t issue a new policy if you’re already outside the UK.

Renewing your policy is easy. We offer to automatically renew Annual policies where possible, and will contact you 21 days before your policy is due to end with a quote to renew your policy and details of when we’ll take payment. Your new policy will then be sent to you via email.

In some cases, we won’t be able to renew your policy automatically, or you might choose to opt out. We’ll still contact you 21 days before your policy ends with details of how you can renew your policy for another year.

Your policy will be sent to you by email straight away,

If you have trouble receiving your documents, please check your email’s spam or junk folder. If it’s not there, please email or call us on 0343 658 0220 (open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday) to check the email address we have on file and get it re-sent.

Timeshares, holiday property bonds or other reward points schemes are not covered by our policies. So if you need to cancel or cut your trip short, you would need to speak to the property manager to arrange cancellation and any transfer your reservation.

If you need to find insurance to cover cancellation for timeshare holidays, it is worth checking the British Insurance Brokers Association’s website – they can help you find local brokers who may be able to help with a tailored policy.

No, we can’t provide cover for travel to countries or regions where the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) have advised against all but essential travel.

However, if FDCO travel advice changes for your destination solely due to Covid-19, you’ll still be covered to travel if you have a Single Trip policy and are travelling in Europe. Please note that cancellation and curtailment cover will not apply.

You can view the list of all current countries on the UK’s travel corridor list here.

Renewing your Annual Multi-Trip policy

Yes, we offer to automatically renew annual policies where possible. We’ll contact you at least 21 days before your policy is due to expire with a renewal quote and details of when we’ll take payment.

You can opt out of automatic renewal at any time. Just visit and log in by entering your policy number and email address. Alternatively, please email us at and a member of our team will be happy to help.

Yes, you’ll need to let us know about any pre-existing medical conditions every year.

We offer to renew all annual policies automatically wherever possible, unless you have opted out.  We’ll contact you 21 days before your policy is due to expire with a renewal quote. This won’t include cover for any pre-existing medical conditions you declared last year – as we rely on having up-to-date information from you to be able to continue to offer cover for medical conditions.

So, once you have your renewal quote, please contact us on 0343 658 0220 (open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday) to run through medical screening questions over the phone. We’ll advise whether this will add an additional cost and you can pay for your renewal over the phone.

To opt out of automatic renewal, please visit and log in by entering your policy number and email address.

Alternatively, please email us at and a member of our team will be happy to help.

Before you go

The good news is you can access your policy documentation online. Log in to view them here.

We also recommend taking printed copies of your Policy Certificate and Policy Wording with you when you go. They contain emergency phone numbers you might need while you’re away.

Having printed documents can also help you with receiving fast medical treatment, as you may be asked to produce your insurance documents by medical practices or hospitals abroad.

So please make sure you take a moment to print them off before you go.

Yes, your policy includes cover for cancellation. Terms and conditions apply, so if you think you need to make a claim, please take time to read the policy wording carefully. Some of the reasons you may be able to claim for include:

  • If you or someone you’re travelling with falls ill
  • If a member of your immediate family is ill
  • If you’re diagnosed with Coronavirus (COVID-19) within 14 days of your planned departure date
  • If you’re made involuntarily redundant
  • If you’re a member of the armed forces, emergency services nursing profession, and you’re called up for duty.

You are covered for the cancellation of your holiday for the reasons stated in the policy wording. You may be able to claim (subject to the policy terms and conditions) for any travel or accommodation costs that you have either already paid or are contracted to pay, that you cannot reclaim from the tour operator.

Yes, you’d be covered to claim for cancellations costs if a close family member or person you’re travelling with falls ill before you go, provided the illness wasn’t known about before you bought your policy or paid for your trip (whichever is the later).

What medical circumstances would be considered if you make a claim are detailed on your policy wording which you can view here, but for example, this would include any pending medical investigations, or anything they’ve received prescribed medication for within the 90 days before your period of insurance starts.

This would usually be your Policy Certificate, but please speak to the embassy, consulate or visa service provider you’re applying with as they may have their own specific requirements.

They usually have a minimum requirement for medical cover – if you’re not a UK national and need to obtain a Schengen visa, the minimum medical cover is €30,000. All policies come with £10 million emergency medical cover as standard. (Note, we can cover residents of the UK, Isle of Man or Channel Islands, provided you’ve lived here for at least 6 of the past 12 months.)

While you're away

Please notify Mayday immediately about any illness or accident abroad and need medical treatment, or if you need to return home early. You, or someone on your behalf, must contact them before incurring costs over £500.

Tel: +44 (0)1273 071784


Before you call, it’s worth checking that your policy will cover you. You can view your policy documentation online here.

Please quote the scheme reference found on your policy certificate.

Please contact our emergency medical company International Medical Rescue on + 44 (0) 2380 177474 if you need medical treatment (someone else can do this on your behalf). They’re open 24 hours a day. 365 days a year, and will be able to liaise with the treating medical practitioner to determine if repatriation back to the UK is both medically needed and possible. They’ll then make all the necessary travel arrangements.

You may be brought back on an accompanied medical flight or via a scheduled carrier, depending on your medical circumstances.

If you have an emergency abroad, need medical treatment or have to return early from your trip, please contact Mayday

Tel: + 44 (0) 1273 071784


They are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Our emergency medical assistance company are International Medical Rescue. When you call, they’ll also confirm whether your policy will cover your medical costs and can help you find local healthcare providers. Their multi-lingual staff can liaise with medical practitioners on your behalf, help with arranging medical repatriation flights if needed and make payments for medical costs if your claim is covered. They can also liaise with your family if you’re in hospital.

Tel: + 44 (0) 2380 177474

They are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

We’ll cover your medical treatment under the ‘Emergency medical expenses and repatriation’ section of your policy.

We’ll also pay you a ‘hospital benefit’. This is an amount paid to you for each full 24 hours you’re in hospital. This is to cover any extra costs. For example, the public hospitals in some countries can charge for housekeeping services or food.

Please note that exclusions apply – for example any pre-existing medical condition that you haven’t let us know about.

Firstly, please check your policy certificate to see what’s covered. You can view your policy documents online by logging into your account here.

Please report any loss or theft to the police and obtain a crime reference number. If your property has been lost while it’s checked in with your airline, you’ll need to obtain a Property Irregularity Report from them within 24 hours of the loss being discovered.

Once you’re back in the UK, you can request a claim form to be sent to you via email at You may be asked to support your claim with receipts, proof of purchase or other documents.

Firstly, please check your Policy Certificate and Policy Wording to see what’s covered under the Loss of Passport benefit of your policy.  Click here to access your policy documents.

You may be covered for the cost of obtaining an emergency travel document from the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), along with travel and accommodation costs if you need to travel to get them. Please note however, that you will not be covered for the cost of the document itself.

Here’s what to do:

Report the loss or theft of your passport to the local police as soon as possible. You will need to obtain the crime reference details they provide for the Lost or Stolen Passport Notification form.

Next, to get the ball rolling with replacement documents you will need to report your passport as lost or stolen on the FCDO website, or alternatively, give them a call on  +44 (0) 20 7008 1500. They’ll let you know where your local FCDO office is to collect your emergency travel document and how long it’s likely to take. You will need to pay for the document and claim it back from us once you’re back in the UK.

If you need to travel to collect your replacement document, remember to keep all receipts for travel and accommodation.

Once you’re home, please get in touch with our Claims team.

Here’s what to do:

Firstly, check your Policy Certificate to see what’s covered. You can view it online here, along with the full Policy Wording.

To make a claim for your bag and its contents, you’ll need to obtain a written report from the police or relevant authority within 24 hours of it happening. This is essential to make a claim – without it the claims team cannot make any payment to you.

If you’ve lost money, please also keep receipts for any cash withdrawal you’ve made following the loss.

Once you’re back in the UK, please contact the Claims team.

Travel insurance wouldn’t provide reimbursement – that’s because your airline should be able to help you. Following Brexit, the UK’s current Air Passenger Regulations mirror the EU regulations which applied previously. Under these regulations, airlines have a duty of care and must offer to get you on an alternative flight. You may also be entitled to extras like food, accommodation and transfers, depending on how long the delay will be.

Alternative flights would typically be the next available flight with the same airline. Or if that’s going to cause you a long delay, you have the right to ask them to book you onto a flight  that gets you there sooner with another airline.

If an alternative flight isn’t available and you still wish to travel, you can book your own flight and claim the cost back through your original airline.

You can check your rights on the Civil Aviation Authority website

EU Air Passenger Regulations may also still apply. To be covered by EU regulations, you must be departing from an EU airport on a flight operated by any airline, or arriving at an EU airport and operated by an EU airline. This also groups Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland in with EU countries. 

Outside the EU, most airlines have their own duty of care – their terms can usually be found on the airline’s website.


If you are in SPAIN, GREECE, CYPRUS, PORTUGAL, EGYPT, MALTA, BULGARIA or TURKEY and need outpatient medical treatment please provide a copy of your policy documentation to the medical practitioner at the time of treatment, and ask the clinic to contact Global Excel Europe. Your treatment will be paid by Global Excel Europe in line with the policy terms and conditions. You will be asked to fill in a simple form to confirm the treatment, and to pay the excess directly to the clinic. The clinic will contact Global Excel Europe who will settle the claim on your behalf.

If you need medical treatment and the cost is likely to exceed £500, you must contact the emergency medical assistance company to authorise treatment. They will check whether it’s covered by your policy and arrange payment directly to the hospital or clinic. You can reach Mayday 24 hours a day, 365 days a year on +44 (0) 1273 071784 or by emailing, and someone can do this on your behalf.

All other claims are made on a reimbursement basis – so you’d usually pay upfront, if required, and submit a claim once you’re back home. You can request a claim forms at any time online at – your claims form can then be sent to you via email. Alternatively you can call Reactive Claims on 01420 259 050. If you’ve got all the documentation you need to make your claim while you are away you don’t have to wait. However, receiving a resolution and payment will not be immediate.

Medical conditions

We’ll ask you whether you have any pre-existing medical conditions when you get a quote. But what is a pre-existing medical condition?

For the purposes of this insurance, it’s any medical condition where you have had:

  • Prescribed medication, including repeat prescriptions
  • Treatment or attended a GP or a specialist as an outpatient or inpatient in the last 2 years or which you are currently on a waiting list for treatment or investigation
  • Any heart, heart-related or circulatory condition
  • Any respiratory condition; or any liver condition
  • Any stress, anxiety, depression or any other psychological condition
  • Any cancerous condition

No, but if you needed to make a claim for medical costs and your claim related in any way to a pre-existing medical condition, it wouldn’t be covered.

Declaring your medical condition when you get a quote gives you the opportunity to go through our simple medical screening system to see if we can provide cover for your condition. You can do this online and get an answer in just a few clicks. Or if you prefer to speak to someone, just call on 0343 658 0220 (open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday) and a member of our team will be happy to help.

Some conditions can be covered free of charge, and some will add an extra premium to your policy. But you’ll have peace of mind that you’ll be covered if you need to see a doctor abroad.

Yes, please let us know if you have asthma when you get a quote. You can go through quick and easy medical screening online in a few clicks. In most cases, we can provide cover for asthma – and it means you’ll be covered of you need to see a doctor abroad for anything related directly or indirectly to it.

Yes, please let us know if you have an allergy when you get a quote. You can go through quick and easy medical screening online in a few clicks. In most cases, we can provide cover for mild allergies – and it means you’ll be covered of you need to see a doctor abroad for anything related directly or indirectly to it.

Yes, it’s important to let us know about all your pre-existing medical conditions when you get a quote. If you choose not to declare a medical condition, it won’t be covered – so if you need medical treatment abroad, you won’t be covered for anything that could link directly or indirectly to that condition.

We offer quick and easy medical screening online – you’ll be taken through a series of questions and we’ll let you know whether we can cover your condition or not right away. If we can provide cover, we’ll let you know the price to include it.

You can choose to exclude your medical condition, but this means you wouldn’t be covered to make a claim if anything happened which is either directly or indirectly related to it. We offer cover for many cancer conditions. So it’s worth going through online screening for peace of mind on your trip.

We use a medical screening system to determine how much it costs to cover pre-existing medical conditions.

This works out the cost based on a complex combination of your personal details (such as age or destination), how many other people across the travel insurance industry claimed for your condition recently (the ‘risk’ to the underwriter) and the answers you provide to medical screening questions. All of these factors can change from year to year, so the price can vary each time you use us to cover your condition.

We aim to offer cover to as many people as possible – and this way of working things out allows us to do this.

We use a medical screening system to determine whether we can cover pre-existing medical conditions.

This factors in personal details such as your age or the country you’re travelling to, the number and value of claims for your condition across the travel insurance industry, and the answers you provide to the medical screening questions.

All of these factors can vary from year to year and on occasion, can mean that we’re no longer able to offer cover for some conditions.

Sports, activities and working abroad

Your Insurance automatically covers you for the activities listed below. If the sport you want to do isn’t listed, you can add an extra sports pack when you buy a policy, or contact us to upgrade your policy at

(Cover for the following activities are included providing it is not the main purpose of your trip, and is for non-competitive recreational or amateur purposes only.)

  • Aerobics
  • Archery
  • Badminton
  • Basketball
  • Bowls
  • Cricket
  • Cycling (No tours, No Personal Liability cover)
  • Fell walking, rambling and trekking (up to 2,000 metres altitude)
  • Fishing
  • Football
  • Golf
  • Hiking (Up to 2,000 metres altitude)
  • Ice-skating (Rink only)
  • Parascending (Towed by boat, No Personal Liability cover)
  • Racket Ball
  • Rafting, canoeing and kayaking (No white water)
  • Rambling
  • Roller skating
  • Rounders
  • Scuba diving (To a depth of 18 metres)
  • Skateboarding
  • Snooker, pool and billiards
  • Snorkelling
  • Squash
  • Surfing (No personal Liability cover)
  • Swimming (Must be undertaken in a pool, inland or coastal waters within a 12 mile limit from land)
  • Table tennis
  • Tennis
  • Volleyball
  • Water Polo
  • Water-skiing (Only on inland waters or coastal waters within a 12-mile limit from land. No Personal Liability cover)
  • Windsurfing (Only on inland waters or coastal waters within a 12-mile limit from land. No Personal Liability cover)
  • Yachting, boating, sailing and rowing (Only on inland waters or coastal waters within a 12-mile limit from land. No Personal Liability cover)

Cover applies to Single trip and Annual Multi-Trip policies only – for activities covered by Backpacker policies, please click here

Yes, you are covered for scuba diving up to a depth of 18 metres at no extra cost on policies.

If you plan to dive deeper, you can add on extra cover to insure you up to 30m provided you are a BSAC, PADI, DIWA, SSI or SAA member. Please note that terms and conditions apply for this more advanced level of cover – so please take a look at our Policy Wording here under special sports and activities table A.

Yes, we offer cover for some sports and activities free with every policy – such as scuba diving up to 18 metres, snorkelling surfing*. But for more adventurous activities and to add cover for working abroad, you can add a Sports and Activities pack for a small extra cost.

This extra sports pack will cover you for the following activities:

  • Abseiling (Must be professionally organised and supervised.)
  • Bungee jumping (No Personal Accident cover.)
  • Camel/Elephant Riding
  • Camogie
  • Canyoning
  • Cycling touring (No cover for Personal Liability unless Category C activities have been added – please refer to your policy documentation)
  • Deep Sea Fishing
  • Dog Sledging
  • Dry Slope Skiing
  • Go Karting (Up to 120cc. No Personal Liability cover.)
  • Gymnastics
  • Hang Gliding
  • Hiking Between 2,000 and 4,000 metres altitude. (No cover for self-guided trekking; trekking against local authority advice; trekking on routes which are not officially recognised.)
  • Hockey
  • Horse riding within tour organisers guidelines and safety helmet worn at all times (No Polo, Hunting, Jumping or Racing.)
  • Hot Air Ballooning (As a passenger only.)
  • Hydro Zorbing
  • Hurling
  • Land Yachting
  • Martial Arts (Training only and non-contact.)
  • Motorcycling (Over 55cc and under 250cc only as a rider or passenger when wearing a helmet, providing the rider holds an appropriate UK motorcycle licence. No racing, no off-road. No Personal Liability cover.)
  • Mountain biking (Excluding competition/racing.)
  • Paddle boarding
  • Paragliding
  • Parasailing
  • Parascending (No Personal Liability cover.)
  • Pony or horse trekking (Guided treks only.)
  • Rafting, canoeing and kayaking C including white water up to grade 4 (No Personal Liability cover.)
  • Rugby
  • Safari (Not involving use of firearms, not walking safari.)
  • Sand Boarding
  • Sand Yachting
  • Scuba Diving* (Depth of between 18 and 30 metres if BSAC, PADI, DIWA, SSI or SAA member)
  • Sea Canoeing
  • Show Jumping
  • Trekking (Between 2,000 and 4,000 metres altitude . No cover for self-guided trekking; trekking against local authority advice; trekking on routes which are not officially recognised.)
  • Triathlon – Road Bike
  • Work Abroad (No Personal Liability or Personal Accident cover. Manual work will be ground level only and involving no wild animals or no machinery.)

* This covers SCUBA diving to a maximum depth of 30 metres provided that you hold a British Sub Aqua Club (B.S.A.C.) or equivalent certificate of proficiency for the dive being undertaken or you are under the direct supervision of a qualified instructor; are diving with proper equipment and not contrary to B.S.A.C. codes of good practice; are not solo/ cave/wreck diving; are not diving for hire or reward; are not diving within 24 hours of flying or flying within 24 hours of diving and are not suffering from any medical condition likely to impair your fitness to dive.


Personal accident – This is a lump-sum payment made to you if you suffer a permanent disability or death as a result of an accident. It’s worth noting that you’ll still be covered for medical costs under the terms and conditions of your policy,

Personal liability – This is costs to cover you if you become liable for accidentally injuring someone, or causing accidental loss or damage to their property.

We recommend contacting the organiser to check what insurance they have in place. You may be covered by the organiser’s third party insurance, or it may be possible to find cover through a specialist provider for your particular sport.

The following activities are covered when you add winter sports cover to your travel insurance:

  • Cat skiing (with guides)
  • Cross country skiing
  • Glacier skiing
  • Ice hockey
  • Kite snowboarding*
  • Langlauf (cross country skiing
  • Monoskiing (not for time trials/speed skiing or racing)
  • Skiing on piste
  • Snow blading (no jumping tricks)
  • Snow bobbing
  • Snow carting*
  • Snow go karting*
  • Snow scooting
  • Snow shoe walking
  • Snow shoeing
  • Snow tubing
  • Snowmobiling*
  • Snowmobile safari*
  • Skidoo*
  • Skiing or snowboarding off piste (within local ski patrol guidelines)
  • Sledging/tobagganing
  • Snowboarding on piste
  • Tobogganing

* No cover for Personal Liability or Personal Accident

You won’t be covered to take part in organised competitions or if you’re skiing against local authority warnings or advice. 

Can’t see your activity listed above?  Drop us a line at

Yes, when you add Winter Sports to your policy it will cover you both on-piste and off-piste, provided you’re within local ski patrol guidelines or within recognised and authorised areas.

Single Trip policies: If you include Winter Sports cover on our single trip policies, you’re covered to hit the slopes every day of your trip.

Annual Multi-Trip policies: Adding Winter Sports cover to Annual  travel insurance will cover you for a maximum number of days per year. These are the total number of days for your winter sports trip(s), rather than the number of days you’re on the slopes.

Standard & Premier policies: 18 days cover

Ultimate policies: 21 days cover

For example, on a Premier policy, you’d be covered for an 11 day ski trip to Banff, and a 7 day trip to Chamonix.

If you’ve included cover for winter sports with your policy, we’ll insure lost stolen or damaged winter sports equipment including: skis (including bindings), ski boots, ski poles and snowboards. This includes items you have hired as well as any you own.

It’s also covered while it’s in use, provided it’s being used correctly. However, it’s important to note that it wouldn’t be covered if you leave it unattended – so if you leave them in a ski rack outside a bar or restaurant they wouldn’t be covered.

If your equipment is delayed at the airport, we’ll cover you for the cost of hiring replacement kit – so you don’t have to miss out on the fun. Just remember to get a Property Irregularity Report from your airline as proof.

Yes, if your ski or snowboard equipment is delayed by at least 12 hours, we’ll cover you for the cost of hiring replacements until yours turn up.

If you need to make a claim – contact your airline to obtain a property irregularity report, and keep all receipts from the rental shop. You can then submit your claim once you’re back in the UK.

Yes, if weather conditions close access to the slopes for skiers and you’re unable to ski or snowboard for 24 hours, we’ll cover you to travel to a similar ski area that’s open and cover the cost of your ski passes to get onto the slopes. If there isn’t anywhere available, we’ll pay a cash alternative.

This has to be within the ski season – when you’d expect there to be snow. That’s between 1st December and 31st March in the Northern Hemisphere, and between 1st May and 30th September in the Southern Hemisphere.

Yes provided you have paid the additional winter sports premium, to the amounts outlined in your policy wording.

You can be covered for winter sports up to age 64 with our policies.

Unfortunately, our policies won’t cover you whilst you’re participating in a sporting competition (amateur or professional). We can cover all other aspects of your trip, just not while you’re competing.

The governing body for your sport in the UK may be able to help you source a specialist insurance provider to cover competitive sports. You can also find local insurance brokers who may be able to help on the British Insurance Brokers Association website

If your sports equipment is lost, stolen or damaged, it’s covered up to the limit specified for personal possessions and baggage on your policy certificate. Please note that sports items are not covered while they’re in use.

A single item limit applies – which is the maximum you can claim for one item, set or collection. For example, golf clubs you bought as a set would count as one item.

It’s worth noting that we can’t provide any cover for bicycles – so if you’re planning to take them abroad with you, it’s worth checking your home insurance policy to see if they’re covered away from home. There are also many specialist bike insurance policies on the market.

Winter sports equipment is covered if you’ve added Winter Sports cover to your policy. Please see the separate FAQ for Winter Sports Equipment.

Terms and conditions apply, so please check the policy wording for further information.

Backpacker Policies

All Backpacker polices automatically cover the following sports and activities:

[List activities and conditions]

Winter sports cover is optional and can be added for an additional premium.


If you purchased a policy on or after 26th April 2019:

Submit your claim online at or contact Reactive Claims on 01420 259050 giving your name, Certificate number, and brief details of your claim.

 If you purchased a policy direct from between 25 April 2018 and 25 April 2019

Please contact Reactive Claims by emailing Alternatively call the claims helpline on 01420 383067 to obtain a claim form, giving your name and Certificate number, and brief details of your claim.

You’ll need to notify the gadget cover providers, who are Trent-Services (Administration) Ltd – within 48 hours of arriving back in the UK.

Tel: 01285 626 020

Please make sure you have the following information to hand if you call, or include it in your email. Your claims handler will need it to move things along quickly:

  • Your policy number
  • Date of purchase of your policy
  • Travel itinerary
  • Country and resort you visited or intended to visit
  • Actual or intended travel dates
  • Incident date
  • Brief circumstances of your claim
  • Value of your claim

Yes, a claim form will be sent out from the claims handler.

Travel news

All of our policies include airport lounge access for scheduled flight delays over 4 hours. So, if you’re facing a delay of over 4 hours, please call +44 (0)2380 177466 (open 24 hours), quoting your Policy Number and flight details. We’ll check availability and can send an airport lounge voucher to you via SMS.

Terms and conditions apply – for instance, the 4 hour delay must be announced in one go, not as a series of shorter delays. So please check your policy wording for full details.

If you haven’t claimed for the airport lounge benefit and your departure from the UK is delayed by 24 hours or more due to strike or industrial action, you will be covered for Travel Delay. This pays you a certain amount for each 24 hour period of delay – you can check how much is covered on your Policy Certificate by logging in here.

Unfortunately, there’s no cover if your airline declares insolvency. If this happens, the first thing to do is to find out if your tour operator or flight is ATOL protected.

ATOL, or Air Travel Organiser’s Licence, offers financial protection for travellers and can help you with getting a refund, as well as arranging flights home if the bankruptcy is announced while you’re abroad.

If you have paid for your holiday or flights by credit card, you may be able to get a refund through your card provider.

Yes, but only emergency medical expenses and personal accident claims. So, if you’re caught up in an act of terrorism and you’re injured, we’ll cover your medical bills and get you back to the UK if needed. Personal accident cover provides a lump sum payout if you die or suffer a permanent disability.

If the event happens before you go and the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) advise against travelling to that country, get in touch with your tour operator or travel provider – as they should be able to help with offering a refund, changing your destination, or your travel dates.

To make a claim, you’ll need to get written confirmation of the delay from your airline.

If your flight is cancelled, your airline should offer to either refund you or arrange travel on the next available flight. They have a duty of care to provide you with food and accommodation (including transfer) if necessary. If they don’t offer this, you’re within your rights to arrange all of this for yourself and claim it back through the airline later. Just remember to keep receipts and keep expenditure for food and accommodation within reason for your delay. For example, accommodation would usually be at the nearest reasonably-priced airport hotel with availability.

If you’re at the airport and a delay is announced of four hours or more, call us on +44 (0)2380 177466 quoting your policy number and flight number, and we’ll check if there’s space in an airport lounge available for you – so you can relax while you wait for your flight. Please note that the delay must be announced in one go rather than two consecutive two hour delays, for example.

If you haven’t claimed for an airport lounge and your delay exceeds 24 hours, you can claim for travel delay – to cover extra costs at the airport.

Or, if you have to abandon your trip after a 24 hour delay, you can claim to abandon your trip – to recoup pre-paid costs for travel and accommodation.

If you need to make a claim, you can read the full details of cover in the policy wording here.

If your outbound flight is delayed due to adverse weather, we’ll cover you for travel delay. This includes access to an airport lounge where available, if your delay is expected to be at least 4 hours, or travel delay costs after a 24 hour delay – to cover essentials at the airport.

If you decide to abandon your trip after a 24 hour delay, you’ll be covered to claim for pre-paid travel and accommodation costs.

If extreme weather hits your destination while you’re away, you’ll be covered for any medical costs if you suffer an injury.

If you are on a cruise holiday and have added  Cruise Cover & Cruise Pack to your policy you’ll be covered to claim for missing your port departure if it’s as a result of adverse weather, and also claim a benefit for each port or pre-paid excursion you miss due to adverse weather.

If the UK government advise against travel to your destination, the advice will be issued by the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO).

If the FCDO advise against ‘all, or all but essential, travel’ to a country or region,  your airline are duty bound to help you under European Air Passenger Regulations (currently in force during the Brexit transition period). So they should be able to either provide you with alternative flights or vouchers to use in the future, or offer you a full refund.

If you booked a package trip, your tour operator can liaise with travel providers on your behalf. If you booked independently and have a non-refundable deposit on your accommodation, please speak directly with the accommodation provider to see how they can help you.

If the FDO have placed a travel restriction on travel to your destination solely due to COVID-19, please check our dedicated Coronavirus (COVID-19) FAQs for information here.

Gadget insurance Gadget Travel Insurance is designed to cover personal electronic devices you carry with you on holiday.

It can be surprising to find out the value of all the gadgets we take with us on holiday. Mobile phones, gaming devices, tablets, smart watches… They’re our travel guide, our link to home, they let us check in to our flights and keep us entertained at the airport. It’s often only when something goes wrong do we realise their true value.

With our Gadget Travel Insurance, you can cover any gadget up to 6 years old at the date of registration (laptops up to 15 months old).

  • Up to 3 gadgets valued at £1000 in total
  • Up to 5 gadgets valued at £2000 in total
  • Up to 7 gadgets valued at £3000 in total

A gadget is an electronic device designed by the manufacturer to be portable with its own internal power source, which can be used in or away from the home.


What’s covered:

  • Accidental Damage – We’ll pay repair costs if your gadget is damaged as a result of an accident, including damage by liquids. So we’ll cover screen repair, for example.
  • Theft – if your gadget is stolen, we’ll cover the cost to replace it.
  • Malicious Damage – If your gadget is damaged through the intentional or deliberate actions of another party we will cover the cost to repair it.

To make a claim, you’ll need to report any theft to the police and obtain a crime reference number. You’ll also need to contact your airtime provider to get your gadget blacklisted as soon as possible.

What’s not covered:

  • Gadgets you use for work (these may be covered by your employer or by separate business cover)
  • Damage caused by normal wear and tear
  • Anything that’s covered by your gadget’s warranty
  • Damage caused due to not following the manufacturer’s guidelines for use
  • If you cause deliberate damage to your gadget

You can cover gadgets belonging to anyone named on your travel insurance policy. If you’re travelling with kids, that will include your family’s tablets, handheld gaming devices and mobiles. Or if you’re travelling with friends, it will cover all your mobiles, smart watches, e-readers, iPads etc.

This insurance only covers gadget(s) purchased as new. Unfortunately, second hand items are not covered.

No, this policy does not cover items purchased from online auctions such as eBay.

The item must be less than 6 years old from the date it was purchased as new. If the insured item is a laptop, it must be under 15 months old when the policy is started.

Yes. There is an excess fee of £50 for all successful Gadget insurance claims, which must be paid before your claim can be approved. Purchasing an excess waiver on your travel policy does not remove the gadget cover excess.

To make a claim on your gadget insurance, you’ll need to provide the item’s original receipt as proof of purchase. The gadget must have been purchased by someone named on the policy.

If you don’t have a receipt for your gadget, or were never issued with one (for example, if it was provided free as part of a mobile phone contract), you will need to provide evidence of the original order and/or contract for your gadget.

If you decide to replace your item at any time during your policy, you don’t need to let us know. Your policy automatically covers any new gadgets you buy.

The underwriters of our gadget cover are UK General Insurance Ltd on behalf of Great Lakes Insurance SE.

UK General Insurance Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Great Lakes Insurance SE is a German insurance company with its headquarters at Königinstrasse 107, 80802 Munich. UK Branch office: Plantation Place, 30 Fenchurch Street, London, EC3M 3AJ. Great Lakes Insurance SE, UK Branch, is authorised by Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht and subject to limited regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority.

To make a claim on Gadget insurance, you’ll need to provide the original receipt for the purchase of your gadget showing the cost (i.e. not a gift receipt). Therefore, you can only claim for gadgets you have either purchased or bought for someone else named on your policy.

Yes, provided they are named on your policy and you can provide original receipts if you need to make a claim.

Great value travel insurance from

Join the 1,000's of people who protect themselves and trust with their travel every day

Established over 15 years ago, at we pride ourselves on providing great value, comprehensive insurance to all of our customers. We listen to your requirements and specialise in travel insurance plus medical cover and car hire excess insurance, so your travel plans are fully insured.
Flexible cover for customers

Great value cover

Whether you are a new or returning customer, we always ensure your get great cover at a competitive price is an experienced insurer you can trust

Comprehensive protection

At we provide up to £10,000,000 cover for medical emergencies, up to £5,000 cover for cancellations and up to £2,500 for baggage and much more…

Comprehensive protection from

Here when you need us

We hope you never need to use your travel insurance, but if you do – rest assured that our emergency assistance teams are here to help 24/7

Securuty and Privacy with

Buy with confidence

Your privacy is our priority, we work hard to make sure any information you give is kept secure

Why our customers choose us